I am currently working on a book to be entitled ‘The Best Water Skier in Luxembourg: Tales of Big Fish in Small Ponds’ . The book will be something of an adventure for me – I will travel to a number of places to investigate experts and champions in small fields in small countries. As the title of the book suggests, I will start with a chapter on water skiing in Luxembourg. After which I aim to investigate:
- The Icelandic special forces
- The top bassoonist in Finland
- The most popular heavy metal band in Botswana
- The most powerful politician on St Helena
- The greatest living Surinamese novelist
- Malta’s favourite soft drink
- The greatest living expert on Cornish
The book is being funded through a new crowd-funding publishing platform called Unbound where writers take their book pitches directly to readers. If readers like the pitch they pledge to support the project and if enough people do so the book gets written. The link to my pitch and video is here.
The first chapter has now been funded and in December 2011 I visited Luxembourg to conduct research. The chapter will be published by next spring, after which I will be seeking funding for the rest of the book.
Scroll down for updates on the project (this post will stay on the top of the page for the time being).